Machu Pichuu

Machu Pichuu

Friday, September 23, 2011

Me Llamo es Philip Muir, y Vivo en Argentina


Hola chicas (y algún chicos que lee mi blog)!
Esto es el primer blog post que estaré compartiendo con tigo,

but I think I will try my hardest to write in English.

Basically what I meant to say is "I'M STOKED!"


If you are reading this post before the "Me llamo es Felipe..." ect. ect.. section, great! You don't need to read that later, it's pretty much the same! Son el mismo!

But I should tell you a little bit more about myself, so here I go.

My name is Philip Graham Muir, born in the late 80's I have come to love many fads, fashions, foods and a free mind able to pick out pieces of myself in cultures, countries, and especially other people, throughout time and the world.

The next scene I am beginning to act in my life I will record for you, and it has dropped me in the center of South America, in a city about 4 hours north of Buenas Aires, Argentina named after the Catholic rosary, or cross, called in spanish, "Rosario". (My friend Tidus never has his feet on the ground if he has the the choice to be in a tree.)

Here in Rosario, as in Mexico when I built houses at age 15, my name is "Felipe El Torro!"
Ok, I don't go by Phil The Bowl in the middle of conversation over a steak and egg-spinach tortilla meal, but once in awhile I like to introduce myself as El Torro and get a reaction that is justified by a curiousity in how my personality, seemingly so opposite that of a raging bull, has any connection to one that would have gotten me that name.

Back to being named Philip by my parents, I was born and raised in Portland, Oregon for 22 years of my 23 years of being able to laugh, cry, and attempting to communicate with other human-beings. About 6 months ago I began my final year at Portland State University, where today I am close to walking with my Major in Sociology. That's my family.

Don't get me wrong, of all the things about me that I would never change, being raised in Portland my whole life would be up on the top of the list next to the good people in it and my spirituality, but at 22 years of built up angst to get out of the country and see the world, I was like a pepsi can shaken during an entire class period.

"Wanderlust" is defined by Meriam-Websters Dictionary as; Wan-der-lust- n - "a strong longing for, or impulse toward wandering." that frankly defines what I have.

So here I am today, age 23, single, blonde (1 of about 5 in all South America) and ugh... yeah, im in "no one ever knows what I'm saying," South America!

I am so stoked to have the prime oppurtunity to share my experiences with you, to bring this place to life for you with vivid photographs, videos, journalism.

I hope I can share with you an enthuthiasm to travel and to discover other cultures that for me today is gained simply by breathing the fresh, spring air of Rosario, Argentina every time I take a step outside of my front door, and say good morning with the customary beso on the cheek.

This can be a reality for you to.

- - - - -
Have any of you traveled to a place before that has been culturally different from your own in a remarkable way?

You don't necessarily have to go to another country to run into new customs.

How were these customs and values different then your own, and how do you imagine that the people who held them saw yours?

Were the greetings different?

Would you do it again?


For now, Chau.
Hasta Luego.
Te hablo pronto,

con amor y
excitement,
Philip "El Torro" Muir

4 comments:

  1. Hola I am Ms. Smiths T.A. for 4th preiod I just want to say the girls are very excited to be able to have this experience and be able to talk with you. Once again thank you for giving the girls this chance we are eager to hear back from you.

    (^.^)Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola! Buenas dias, I am glad to hear that there is excitement around this project, it definitely helps to give me reason for going out of my way while I'm here to find some awesome stories. I look forward to anserwing any questions and picking up requests or recommendations.
    For now, I hope you can find the rest of my blogposts interesting and entertaining. The next will be up my Monday morning.
    Until then, !tienen un fin de semana increíble!
    Chau,
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, sorry for the delay . . . but Hola, my name is Unity Drain, born and raised in Portland , OR. I live with both my mom, and dad, but they are divorced, so of course not at the same time. I am the oldest of three, with one younger brother, and sister. My favorite color is green, and I love to read.

    I most definitely share your "Wonderlust". I am either traveling, or longing to do so. Although I have been to many places, Taos, New Mexico was culturally the most different. Of course there is the language barrier, but also different interests, and housing. In Taos, many, if not most of the homes are adobe styled, and by far very different from my flat in PDX. I love experiencing different cultures, and listening to new music, and tasting new foods.

    Although it is no way fancy, our family (especially my siblings) quite enjoys "Texas Toast". (I'm not quite sure if this answers your question) "Texas Toast" consists of Texas Toast - an actual bread brand - or a very thick, but fluffy bread, mashed potatoes, a burger patty, and gravy. It is layered in the following order: Toast, mashed potatoes (you could also substitute with hashed browns), burger patty, potatoes again, and then gravy.

    If not "Texas Toast", then Belgian Waffles are another personal favorite.

    I'm really excited about this opportunity, and am looking forward to future posts, and upcoming comments.

    Unidad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to meet you Unity! I am pleased to be able to share these travels of mine with fellow native Portlanders, and I hope that your enthusiasm for travel and adventure can grow through this time.
    Now that I know a little bit more about what you like to learn, I can try my best to capture some of the sounds, images, and tastes of the city around me.
    Have you ever heard Cumbia? Most people either love it, or they can't stand it, but regardless I hear it everywhere!
    I love Belgian Waffles too, but that is one of the things around here that they just don't eat; no pancakes, no waffles, no maple syrup... Breakfast is typically buttered bread, fruit, and coffee! A lot of the students I study with still arn't used to it, but I kind of find the experience humbling. I'm partaking with my family, I'm partaking in the culture! Kind of like when a friend eats Texas Toast with you and your family.

    Again, it is great to meet you, and I look forward to getting your's, and everyone else's feedback.

    Chau,
    Philip

    ReplyDelete